ABOUT ME

Trees In OK Profile Photo
Late 30-something, married with two kids struggling to find the balance between wife, mother, employee, runner and myself.
View complete profile

ARCHIVES


BLOGROLL


TWITTERING


    FLICKR

    FAVE READS


    Friday, January 09, 2009

    Astonished? Astounded?

    Today's linguistics issue (I wish I was William Safire sometimes) is the difference between astonish and astound. Is there a difference other than personal preference? I do not know. It will be my goal to uncover the mystery. Report back on Monday.... What do you think?

    Labels:

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Nat said...

    According to OED...
    astonish is to amaze

    astound is "overcome with amazement/ shock."

    So to be astounded is superlative to being astonished.

    12:10 PM  
    Blogger Gretchen said...

    To me... Astonish is more surprised than astounded.

    I think...

    2:01 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home