ABOUT ME

Trees In OK Profile Photo
Late 30-something, married with two kids struggling to find the balance between wife, mother, employee, runner and myself.
View complete profile

ARCHIVES


BLOGROLL


TWITTERING


    FLICKR

    FAVE READS


    Friday, August 29, 2008

    Flabbergasted

    Irate. Incensed. Insulted.

    These all describe my thoughts and feelings about the GOP's choice in VP. Let's get this right - it is the GOP's choice, not the presumptive nominee's choice. This move shows so many things: desperation, manipulation, pandering.

    As a woman, as a voter, as a U.S. citizen, I am incensed. Just because I am a working mom with two kids does not mean I identify with this person any more than I identified with Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. Just because I have a vagina does not mean I want the history making campaign to fall for the women over the minorities.

    As a person, I want to be assured that those people leading our country are qualified and represent my interests - economically, environmentally, socially.

    I am outraged that this move is designed to make me look at the GOP party in a new light. It makes me look at it with disgust. It made me firmly decide for the Obama / Biden ticket. I can be manipulated, but do not make it so obvious.

    I have read on various sites that this is disingenuous, a hail-mary pass, a last ditch effort to appeal to the Christian right, to women, to middle America. But none of it is designed to appeal to my intellect.

    This decision just became a no-brainer.

    Labels:

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Mayberry said...

    I agree -- and I am also worried that it might work. Which is scary on many levels.

    6:42 PM  
    Blogger Nat said...

    Exactly.

    Now go convince your GOP friends ok?

    8:21 PM  
    Blogger joansy said...

    I'm pretty stunned. I can't believe that someone with absolutely no experience in national issues, let alone foreign issues, could be President. With a 73-year old, cancer survivor, who is probably already past his life expectancy, the choice for VP is critical. If they think they'll pick up a bunch of votes just because she's a woman, they couldn't be more wrong.

    8:51 PM  
    Blogger Gretchen said...

    unbelievable. truly unbelievable.

    And as with you, the decision became a no-brainer

    6:37 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    It's an insulting pat on the head AND an attempt to suck up to the extreme right. BOTH revolting. Not to mention hypocritical seeing as all McCain has been yammering on about for months is Obama's supposed lack of experience. Then he brings a person with virtually NO experience in to be 2nd in command. PLEASE. It's the biggest joke I have ever seen.

    8:48 PM  
    Blogger Girlplustwo said...

    amen. 100%

    8:53 PM  
    Blogger Kimberly said...

    Amen. I agree 100%. The more I think about it, the more pissed off I become. I've been cooking up my own post on this topic - should be up later today.

    5:39 AM  
    Blogger Not Hannah said...

    As I said with Kimberly's post, preach it, my sister! I'm actually considering trying to put together a blogroll/ring/insert correct internetical terminology of mamas who are not hip to the "You wanted a vagina? How about this one?!" mentality of the GOP. Any takers? I just keep thinking about all of us who read and write blogs and what an opportunity this is.

    10:07 AM  
    Blogger Marinka said...

    Absolutely.

    7:12 PM  
    Blogger Scary Mommy said...

    Amen, sista.

    7:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home