ABOUT ME

Trees In OK Profile Photo
Late 30-something, married with two kids struggling to find the balance between wife, mother, employee, runner and myself.
View complete profile

ARCHIVES


BLOGROLL


TWITTERING


    FLICKR

    FAVE READS


    Saturday, November 11, 2006

    The Tulsa Run play by play or km by km

    To address my previous post, I was thrilled to see six - SIX - comments, then when I read and found the three of them were spam, I was disgusted. Thanks for making my day not my day. You suck the life out of others. I hope you know that.

    For those who really do support me - thank you! You must have been here in spirit today. It was a cool 39 deg at the start downtown. About 5 min before the start, my hubby's friend Sieg spotted Hubby, Nathan and me on the sidewalk huddling together. He came over to harass us, I ended up following him to where he, his wife, their neighbor and his cousin were waiting for the starting gun. As we made our way there, the soldiers from Ft. Sill made their way to the back of the pack, where they would proceed to run 15 km in formation. It is a tradition and it kicks ass. I love this. As they made their way to the back, they were greeted by applause and cat calls. Well done and thank you. I spotted a sole female soldier.

    The gun went off. It took 2:30 to reach the starting line. Thank goodness for chip timing! The newspaper stated 8.500 entrants versus last year's 7,000 entrants and attributed the increase to the race date being moved to coincide with Oklahoma's centennial celebrations, starting this weekend.

    My iPod, despite being charged all week, did not work. I disconnected the ear buds and tucked the Shuffle into my pocket. I was on my own with my mind. The test had started.

    The first two km, I ran with Sieg's wife and her running partner. Hitting the 2km mark at 14 minutes, I decided that this pace, though very comfortable, was not competitive and so I started kicking it into gear. My goal was to reach the 5km mark at 30 minutes, then see how it goes from there.

    I hit 5 km at around 30:40 or so, then I spotted a fireman running in partial gear - the pants, the helmet - and he was passing people, so I followed him for a good 2 km or so. From about 4.5 km to 9 km, it was slightly downhill with the light wind at our backs. The sun was out and despite the cool temps, it was warm. I took off my gloves around 6 km, I think.

    Reaching 9.5 km, we turn around and return on the same route we just took for the past 3 km, but this time with the wind in our face. Some runners complained. My lungs enjoyed it. At 10 km, the time was 56:30, so I had successfully run a negative split. I estimated if I did just as well as I had done, I could finish at 1:24 or so. So that was my goal - it seemed reasonable and attainable.

    The last 5 km or so went by and felt good. I could tell my legs were starting to get a little tired, but my lungs were strong. My mind was in it, too. There seemed to be fewer spectators and support groups this year than in past years. Hubby thought the cool temps might have discouraged people. I have seen people out there when it was 40 deg and drizzle, so I am not sure that is the reason. Could be more of the spectators were actually participating this year.

    The hash house harriers, who were just beyond the 13 km mark last year, were nowhere to be seen this year. I was slightly disappointed, but had resolved to not partake of an ounce or two of beer prior to finishing the race.

    At 13 km, we round the corner and head up Riverside, running along the Arkansas River north toward downtown. The view of the skyline is gorgeous, the river was pretty and the distractions were needed because it is at a gradual incline at this point. This is where some tunes would have come in handy. Three songs would have distracted me from my lungs, which were starting to burn a bit. However, I started my counting, which is something I do to try to get through a rough patch of running. On every right footstrike, I count. You would be surprised how much it helps.

    At 14 km, I realize I ran the last km relatively fast, so I decide to try to keep it up, but not too much as I want a kick for the final 100 yards or so. I was still passing people and it felt great to do so.

    As I rounded the curve to see the crowd gathered at the finish line and could barely see the finish line banner, I realize I am on track to have a great time - possibly even faster than 1:20:00. I kick it into gear and pass a couple people, heard Hubby say "go Teresa!" and finish with a chip time of 1:19:41! My fastest Tulsa Run ever! This averages to 8:33 min/mi or 5:18 min/km. Three minutes + faster than my best result, which was 8 years ago.

    My lungs were burning. It felt amazing. I was so proud of myself. Hubby and Nathan found me. I had told him of my previous times, so he knew just how well I had done.

    I was grinning all day. I keep going back to check my time to ensure it hadn't changed.

    Next up: Napa Valley Marathon, March 4, 2007
    http://www.napavalleymarathon.org/default.asp

    7 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congrats, T! I am so proud of you, what a great time that is! Add in the fact that Miss J arrived so recently and I bow in awe of you!

    BTW, the little comment word verification thing you can turn on does seem to keep the spammers away. Sorry they rained on your parade.

    7:58 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yea!! Congratulations on the great run!

    5:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You ROCK!

    Congrats, that's something to be really proud of!

    WTG!

    9:56 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i don't know why, but I welled with tears at the end.

    You are an inspiration!
    Christina

    8:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are awesome!

    9:17 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    I am so proud of you!

    9:53 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Way to go girl! I am so happy for you. Even though you make some of us feel like shit for not running more or faster when I had my baby 9 months ago, not 9 weeks ago!

    12:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home